Social Security

Ability to Save for a Child

As a parent, the responsible thing to do for my daughter is to save money in a college fund for her. However, because she is a minor, the account should legally be in my name. According to current SSI and Medicaid guidelines, I cannot have more than $1500 between my checking and savings account so it is impossible for me to save money for her. Of course, I know there are ways around this but it should not be difficult for me to do the same thing an able-bodied parent can do at the drop of a hat.


56 votes
57 up votes
1 down votes
Idea No. 15